Thursday, February 20, 2014

What's your list?

When I first found out I was pregnant with my son there was the sheer excitement. Followed by the fear of "Am I ready for this?". Well I mean it is obviously a little late to be thinking that. But I think that it is normal to feel this way. Your life is never the same after having a baby. You no longer get to sleep when or as long as you want. You have this amazing baby who is depending on you to take care of it. I think it is only normal and human to have the fears of not being ready. 

As my pregnancy progressed that fear only got greater. As I went in for one of my last appointments I was told I needed to go in for an ultrasound. My son was measuring 2 weeks ahead of where he should have been. At that time he was already measuring at 7lbs. Oh man I was going to have a big baby. Granted I get that ultrasound can before off by a couple pounds but still I was only 36 weeks. So when I went I for what would be my last appointment I was interested to talk with the doctor. I brought my mom along so that we had multiple ears listening. As my doctor came in she started to explain that I would have to have a c-section. I felt my heart drop. I wasn't going to be able to do the one thing my body was meant to do. I wasn't going to be able to have my baby how I had planned. This is where I was glad I brought my mom. She was not taking this answer lightly. She asked many important questions. Was this just her opinion or had she consulted other doctors? Turns out this was the opinion of 2 other doctors as well. That made me feel a lot better. This decision was not made lightly. It was made with my health in mind. Sure I could try and be induced but I would have ended up needing a c-section anyway. It was not because of how much he weighed but because of his head. My sons head was no joke huge! He was a perfect little bobble head when he was born. I still remember laying on the table and my doctor whispering to me that he would NOT have fit. I knew I made the right decision. I knew that I had brought my son into this world the safest way for both him and me. 

So what's my point of all this? Every mom is scared when they head to the hospital to have their baby. I am positive that there are things they wish they could have told themselves after they had the baby. Having a newborn can be so hard! You can forget that beautiful moment when you first layed eyes on your sweet baby. 

I found this amazing video on YouTube. They asked first time moms what they would tell themselves if they could go back to right before they had their babies. I absolutely loved it. 

You can watch the video here: http://youtu.be/taDqKWWPDAY

So this made me think of my own list. 
You are going to be amazing.
This is all worth it.
You are about to meet true love.
You know all you need to know.
You will learn fast.
Don't forget to pray.
Take time to enjoy the snuggles.
You will miss these days.
Sing often. 
Crying doesn't make you weak.
Remember to laugh.

This is my list. What is yours? I love this idea. I think we always focus on the things that go wrong. Let's focus on the good. On the amazing little gift you have been given. I do not want to know what my life would be like without my little man. He is my world. He is my everything. I always heard it is worth it. I can't even tell you how true this statement is. Every sleepless night, every late night feeding is worth it. Being a mother is the best! 



Be the best mommy you can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment